Friday, June 10, 2011

A new revelation...and this is funny!

So, today is the first day of summer for me.  This means that even though I m teaching summer school, its in Chico, and its a short, mellow day.  Summer for teachers is like this crazy thing.  Most people would say that we are completely different people during summer than during the year.  Maybe this is true for parents also, because kiddos are home, but I wont pretend to know anything about that.  I think, for me in particular, since my job involves getting up at 5:30, and getting in my car while its still dark out to make my hour each way commute.  This means, when I have meetings after school, I often get home late too, and then run my butt over to yoga before having wine and dinner and crashing till 5:30 the following morning.

But this morning, I leisurely woke at 6:30 without my alarm, made some coffee, showered, threw on a sundress and some sandals and hopped on my bike to make it to school by 8:00.  When I got home I took a little nap, went to visit my friend and her new baby, then came home and have been puttering around, drinking a glass of wine, taking a shower, waiting for another friend to show up for dinner. 

I literally feel like a completely different person.  And now for the funny part.  You do not want to be my boyfriend in the summer.  Because baby I need space.  I will see you once, maybe twice a week if the mood hits me, but the last thing you want to do is try to pin me down.  I stop making lists, I stop requiring myself to do anything other than exactly what I want, and dont even try and stop me.  This year I planned several solo trips, invited girlfriends to show up at a few, wanted to keep the rest to myself and my relaxed mind.  I never get bored.  I luxuriously drink a glass of wine and read a book for hours.  I stay in one room and sew all day.  I volunteer at the local nursery, or this year, CSA, and then I bring home lots of awesome veggies and cook and can amazing things.  My dogs are part of my entourage, so unless I fly there, expect to see them.
I ride my bike everywhere possible, and dont be surprised to see me in the garden of Red Tavern with Danielle having a free slice of pizza with our wine, or at Bidwell Perk or the T Bar just killing time with my mom.  So, if you are a man to make it through summer with me, which has yet to happen outside my marriage, plan to have a life, way outside of our relationship.  Then plan to be lazy and sit in my beautiful yard, at the firepit, with a glass of wine till late...then plan to walk or ride to farmers market in the morning and maybe stop for coffee on the way home.  Then entertain yourself for an afternoon while I do my thing and you will probably get an amazing, fresh dinner, if thats your kind of thing.  But if you want to hang out all day, watching tv, and drinking beer, or hit the malls, or the bars, and if you want me to attend all your kids' sporting events and help with providing capri sun and cheez-its, I ain't your girl.  I do that shit during the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment