Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Another duh moment about falling in love

Well.  I have something to admit.  I have read quite a few books about how to find and score a man.  Honestly, yes I am a single woman, curious as to the surefire way to find (and catch) the man of my dreams...but in a way I also am interested in our culture, and really, what is out there for people to read.  So, that's my excuse for reading this trash.  Really. 

So in these books, it says a lot of really great things about having self-confidence, not being needy, but there also are some plugs for pretending to be less intelligent, less opinionated, make less money, and making the man think that you NEED him.  Think of "The Rules"  books, and realize how many people have taken this premise and run with it.  "He's Just Not That Into You", "Why Men love Bitches", and even "Why Men Marry Bitches".  Seriously.  I have read them.

So today, while perusing Barnes and Noble, this little book caught my eye. "The Case for Falling in Love".  Now I am always looking for things to read, things to write about, and this looked a little different than my current "research".  Bought it, even though hardback prices completely annoy me.  (That's why Bossypants, by Tina Fey, has not been purchased at this point). 

And it said this to me...Yes.  Yes, you may score a man by letting him take care of you, pretending not to know how to screw in a lightbulb by yourself, not having strong opinions, playing hard to get, making him pay for everything...but who the fuck wants THAT GUY?  Really.  I mean, if I play that role for awhile, don't I have to play it forever, if I score this dude?  Or worse, what if I actually become that woman?

I have a graduate degree.  I own a new car.  I have a great house.  I eat well.  I go on vacation.  I exercise.  I am educated and have opinions on current affairs.  I have a lot of great friends and a wonderful family.  If my success is too much for you, Mister Rules Man, honestly, you can suck it.  I'd much rather be alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment